The Greek Orthodox Ladies Philoptochos Society, Inc. is the second largest women’s philanthropic organization in America. Our parish chapter “Patris” is one of 450 chapters of this philanthropic arm of the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America. For over 85 years the Philoptochos Society has provided philanthropy through a multitude of programs that serve our community, nation, and the world. Below is a list of some of the charities and outreach activities our chapter supports.
· National Cancer Fund and Children's Medical Fund
· Aid to flood and hurricane victims
· School supplies and health kits for IOCC
· Our chapter sponsors a room at Philoxenia House. Which provides free temporary housing for individuals and families, most from Greece, who come to Boston for medical treatment.
· We have a drive twice a year for Homecoming baskets for Operation Homecoming. A mission to assist homeless veterans in transitioning to independent living
· Council of Social Concern:
At Christmas we sponsor a drive to purchase gifts for the children of needy families of Woburn, as well as donating to the Council’s food pantry
And much more!
Our chapter meets on the second Tuesday of the month from September through June with the exception of January and February. In January we do not meet and in February we sponsor Go Red Sunday for women’s heart health.
Most meetings are held in the church hall. They begin at 6:30P.M. with fellowship and sometimes a speaker or a program. The regular meeting usually begins at 7p.m.
10th Sunday of Matthew; Return of the Body of Bartholomew the Glorious Apostle; Titus the Apostle of the 70; John the Cappadocian, Epiphanius and Menas, Patriarchs of Constantinople; Holy Father John of Carpathia; Ebba, First Abbess of Coldingham